single radio interface, BSS count 2

green greenfreedom10
Tue Mar 9 13:34:14 PST 2010

Jouni Malinen wrote at 2010-03-07 10:42 -0600:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 09:13:55AM -0600, green wrote:
> > # hostapd -dd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
> > Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
> > ctrl_interface_group=50 (from group name 'staff')
> > Opening raw packet socket for ifindex -843944955
> > wlan0: Unable to setup interface.
>
> This looks odd.. Just to be sure that this was not broken by something
> else, I would start with configuration file that has the bssid line in
> it and rmmod and modprobe ath9k (or reboot) and then start hostapd
> directly..
>

> Anyway, I was unable to reproduce either of these problems with the
> current wireless-testing.git (i.e., current Linux kernel wireless
> development tree).
>
> Couple of issues in hostapd prevented multi-BSS configuration from
> working properly (but none of those would show up this early in the
> setup) and those are now fixed in the current hostap.git tree.

Well, I noticed that hostapd git had been updated, so I grabbed a snapshot of
7b90c16aa9ca377b1a6d160c1ba0f2bd304f7e2f, built it, and it seems to work with
Debian's stock 2.6.30 in Squeeze/testing.  I will report a Debian bug
encouraging upgrading to that git version.

If you are curious about the problem and would like me to test any other
scenarios, let me know, though I would prefer to limit kernels to Debian stock.

Thanks for you help.