fast roaming with hostapd and wpa_supplicant

Marcin Marzec etagh
Mon Jun 14 12:48:08 PDT 2010

Hi,
I actualy managet to make working 802.11r on hostapd and wpa_supplicant. It
was my diploma thesis. I used ath5k + mac80211. I had many problems, but
worked out some of theme. There was many updates on git by Jouni after my
mail describing some of the problems, so I think current snapshot could be
ok. There was also some problems with mac80211, cfg80211 and I think that
there are still there. Another major problem i had with scanning - when STA
want to roam it has to make scan which make delay 500ms or more which
actualy make fast roaming useless.
And another big problem I had with making fast roam with heavy packet
traffic - 1000packets/s increased roaming delay to over 500ms. But roaming
with 28kbit/s traffic (voip conversation) make roaming delay around 50ms
which is quite well.

To make 802.11r usable ther should be good background scanning, and some
fixes in mac80211. But because 802.11r is only implemented in hostapd,
wpa_supplicant we only can use linux for that. I didn't find any other
implementations for 802.11r.

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 04:36:31AM -0700, Vieri wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if anyone actually managed to get "fast roaming" to work as
>> described in:
>> http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2010-May/021482.html

802.11r is not compatible with:
1) IEEE 802.11i RSN pre-authentication