Not remove interface when wpa_supplicant shuts down

Panagiotis Georgopoulos panos
Tue Jun 8 04:08:40 PDT 2010

Hello Pavel, all,

	Please see bellow...

> On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 19:41 +0100, Panagiotis Georgopoulos wrote:
>
> > Sorry for not putting it correctly, yes the interface is not removed,
> > it is just brought down, which reasonably -as you point out- removes
> > the routes. However, this is still annoying because when the
> interface
> > is brought down it loses its IP and all the related routes are
> removed
> > and should be added manually. Plus, if I have wireshark capturing
> > traffic on this interface it will whinge for the interface that was
> > brought down.
>
> I suggest that you try to instruct wireshark not to exit.  Perhaps you
> should talk to wireshark developers.  It would be a more valuable tool
> if it could monitor all packets as soon as the interface goes up.

Thanks for your suggestion! You are right, searching more on the Wireshark
side, it seems that if you run Wireshark with -i wlan0 -k it will stay up
and capture all packets without winging if an interface goes up and down.

> Routes can be added by a script.  Fedora would do it
> using /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* scripts if the old style
> network configuration scripts are installed, as opposed to
> NetworkManager.

Indeed, I could write a script for configuring ip addresses and adding
routes instead of doing this manually after executing wpa_supplicant (or use
Jouni's idea and kill it with the pid, which leaves the interface up and
running)

	Thanks again,
	Panos