Not remove interface when wpa_supplicant shuts down

Panagiotis Georgopoulos panos
Tue Jun 8 04:05:08 PDT 2010

Hello Jouni,

	Please see bellow...

> On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 07:41:46PM +0100, Panagiotis Georgopoulos
> wrote:
> > So, any ways to disallow wpa_supplicant or hostapd to bring an
> > interface down when they are stopped?
>
> Source code modification or use "kill -KILL <pid>" to stop..
>
> --

	Thanks for the kill idea! It seems to be working nicely...

	Just wanted to clarify though, if I kill wpa_supplicant, is there
something that is not cleaned gracefully? Would I have any problems if I
re-execute it after I kill it? It seems that functionally it reruns fine,
but I am thinking more of resources...

	On a related note, why when I run hostapd, it creates a mon.wlan1
interface in addition to wlan1? I see something like the following when I
run hostapd :

	root at td4:/home/td4/hostapd-0.7.2/hostapd# hostapd -dd
/etc/hostapd.conf
	Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf
	nl80211: Register Action command failed: ret=-114 (Operation already
in progress)
	nl80211: Register Action match - hexdump(len=1): 06
	nl80211: Failed to register Action frame processing - ignore for now

	nl80211: Add own interface ifindex 19
	*nl80211: New interface mon.wlan1 created: ifindex=45*
	nl80211: Add own interface ifindex 45 BSS count 1, BSSID mask
00:00:00:00:00:00 (0 bits)
	nl80211: Added 802.11b mode based on 802.11g information

	(snip)

	This again creates many problems in the debugging because each
handler interface sees a subset of the traffic that AP experiences and it is
very difficult to debug this.. (For more information on this please see my
http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2010-June/021487.html )

	Is there any way to solve this?

      Many thanks in advance,
	Panos