nl80211 driver problem

Igor Gueths igueths
Wed Jul 14 10:04:15 PDT 2010

Hello Alan.
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:48:37PM -0400, Alan Jachimiak wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Mailing list newb here... please forgive me if I breech protocol or if I've
> hit a subject that's been covered many times...
>
>   When I type the command
>
> [root at Joshiba ajachimiak]# hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
>

>  I get the following output:
>

>  ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
>
> nl80211 driver initialization failed.
>
> rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
>

> I'm running:
>
> Fedora 12
>
> Kernel Linux 2.6.32.14-127.fc12.i686
>

>  If it helps I have a Linksys WRTG 54 card that works fine for wireless
> access to another AP...

Is that the card you are currently trying to use, or is it a different one? A
couple of things you will want to check: ensure that the driver for the card you
are using is properly loaded, whether as a module or in the kernel. If the
driver is present, make sure that it is properly recognizing the card, and
assigning it to a device, such as Wlan0. One way to check for this is to run
dmesg | grep -i wlan and see what if anything comes back as a result. The other
thing to check would be actual Netlink support in your kernel, but the former is
currently far more likely.