WPA supplicant use with madwifi Access Point

Georgopoulos, Panagiotis panos
Thu Jan 28 01:56:51 PST 2010

Hello all,

               I am new to this list, so please bear with me ;-) I would
like to use wpa_supplicant and create a WPA-PSK wireless network with the
use of madwifi drivers.

I know that my wireless card supports madwifi and I am able to create a
non-secure access point by using the madwifi drivers. However, when I am
creating the wpa_supplicant.conf in etc with all the WPA-PSK settings (which
as far as I can tell is the same one that can be used for a client to
connect to the access point) I get a 'cannot configure interface to managed
mode' which is very understandable as my wireless card works in master point
as is an access point.

How can I get wpa supplicant to support my madwifi created access point (on
the machine that creates the access point) ? Can someone please point out to
me what am I doing wrong and/or where can I find some info about this?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Panos