Detecting WEP Encryption via new D-Bus API

Phillip Nixon phillipnixon49
Sun Jan 10 06:32:23 PST 2010

Thanks for the reply. To clarify your email: a WEP-only encrypted BSS
will show '1' for the Privacy property, and have null in the WPAIE and
RSNIE properties.

I see the Privacy field, however it is marked as '1' for the
unencrypted BSSes that I am testing with -- I assume that it should be
'0'?

I am using commit 8e5568f874f591db5e293e58cfe7ca7611977168 of the git
tree. I am running Linux kernel 2.6.31, using the wext driver.

I have tested and observed the Privacy field being set to '1' with
unencrypted networks on two separate devices (this is all I have
access to at the moment):

1) An old Linksys BEFW11S4 v.2 router, in infrastructure mode.
2) A Mac iMac in ad-hoc mode.

Also, both of these BSSes correctly, do not show any information in
the WPAIE or RSNIE fields.

Please email if you need anything else. Thanks.

Phillip