Back port "scan_freq" implementation to wpa supplicant 0.6.x

Johannes Berg johannes
Wed Dec 15 13:23:00 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 15:12 -0600, alfred steele wrote:

> Thanks. I am trying to gather a better understanding for the
> difference between mac80211 and the WEXT layers.  I was told that
> there is a way to adapt a non mac80211 driver(WEXT baseed) to work
> with mac80211.

Well, it depends. If it's a softmac driver, then in the long term, and
particularly if you plan to upstream it, you will want/need to port it
to use mac80211. If it's a fullmac driver, then you'll want to make it
register with cfg80211 directly.

> All i need is a way to support something similar to a "scan_freq"
> parameter with the driver we use. We need to filter out a few channels
> while doing active scan based on wpa supplicant.
> Are there any other ways around it?

You can register with cfg80211 ...
See http://wireless.kernel.org/80211books/

johannes