Cannot connect to Deutsche Telekom Speedport with WPA

Holger Schurig holgerschurig
Thu Dec 2 07:50:35 PST 2010

> > wpa_supplicant -ddddt -ctest.conf -ieth1 -Dwext 2&> out.log

What version of wpa_supplicant?
Which WLAN driver?
Which kernel version?
Why do you use the outdated wext?
Try it with -Dnl80211.

> > eth1      unassociated  ESSID:off/any  Nickname:"ipw2100"
> >           Mode:Managed  Channel=0  Access Point: Not-Associated
> >           Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:16 dBm
> >           Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
> >           Encryption key:5350-2D58-3955-3044-3534-3772   Security
mode:open

"iwconfig" doesn't have a good notion of being connected/disconnected.
Try to use "iw" instead. Or, because you're using wpa_supplicant, use
"wpa_cli status".

> > 1290757247.814007: Association request to the driver failed
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me why.

But you should find out. Maybe you can use another computer, go into
monitor mode on channel 9 and trace the data exchange. But it might as
well work once you use the currently maintained interface.

> conf.txt

As you didn't say which driver you use, I cannot say if your "ap_scan=1"
is correct. For example, if you ath5k, you won't need that anymore.

Also, a WPA or WPA2 passphrase must be at least 8 characters long.
"secret" is too short.

For example, for wpa2 you could use:

network={
        ssid="Die3"