Can wpa_supplicant run several instance on the interface?

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Apr 15 09:05:34 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 03:50:34PM +0800, long shawn wrote:
> I have two wifi interfaces bridged to br0, so the two interfaces will share
> the same ip address.
> Then I want to run wpa_supplicant on each interface, and run it as external
> registrar.

> 1. Does wpa_supplicant support to run two instance with the same ip (br0) or
> not?

Why would you run two instances if you only have a single IP address?
I'm assuming you are only using wpa_supplicant as an external registrar
in this case. If not, please provide more details on what exactly you
are trying to do.

> 2. Can I enable the external registrar for each instance?

If you really want to run multiple external registrar instances, you can
do that. I just do not see why you would do this.. You can start ER with
-Dnone -i<ifname> on the command line (i.e., do not control any wlan
device or run IEEE 802.1X authentication, just use the interface for IP
layer connectivity as a WPS ER).