WPS with hidden SSID and ap_scan==1 doesn't work

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Apr 6 23:20:15 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 05:52:21PM -0700, Jason Young wrote:

> with a Netgear WNDR3300 I have. The WPS protocol does succeeds and WPS
> credentials are created but the supplicant fails when it tries to
> connect to the new network because the AP, as it appears in the scan
> results, has the wrong SSID. Since WPS creates the network block with
> scan_ssid==0, the supplicant never scans for the specific SSID
> provided in the WPS credentials.

How did you manage to get the WPS protocol completing? Are you adding a
network block manually with the correct SSID to get association working?
Or are you triggering a scan with an external tool and with a specific
SSID to make sure the BSS show up in scan results even if the SSID is
hidden?

> Is there any way to workaround this problem other than updating the
> network block with scan_ssid=1 after the supplicant fails to find the
> AP?

Not really.. Or well, you could obviously modify wpa_supplicant to add
scan_ssid=1 to all networks provisioned with WPS.