hostapd netlink socket

Holger Schurig hs4233
Tue Sep 29 03:00:47 PDT 2009

> do you know if there is blocking mode with this socket, how the
> driver will know that the operation is finished ?

I usually know such things after reading the source.

> for example : after sending authnatication msg how the driver
> know that hostApd add the sta with no problem ?

Read src/drivers/driver_nl80211.c.

The find the function wpa_driver_nl80211_sta_add(). See what
function it calls to do the work, e.g. near the end

  ret = xxxx();
  if (ret)
     error

Then stufy the function xxxx() you just found, it's in the same
file. Look for things that can have blocking behavior, e.g.
do/while/for loops. You can also use "gdb" and breakpoints and
single-step the code.

You could also study the source of "iw" for another
implementation of NL80211-based communication. Sometimes
approaching the same problem from a different angle can be
helpful.

I actually didn't give you the right answer, because it's so easy
to derive the answer from the source. So do your homework by
yourself and you'll have learnt more than being told the
details. No pun intented.

Usually it's also helpful to get the big picture: nl80211 uses
netlink. So you can use your favorite search engine to find a
howto about linux netlink.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de