WPA2/EAPOL handshake problem

Endre Bakka endre
Tue Sep 8 06:46:39 PDT 2009

Hi,

We are trying to get Wi-Fi (Ralink rt73 based usb stick) up an running on
an embedded platform with uClinux (2.6.28 kernel, rt2x00 driver). It works
in most cases, but for WPA2-PSK on certain access points (usually Cisco is
involved) we run into a problem during the EAPOL 4-way handshake.

Short version:
After we have sent EAPOL-Key 2/4, the AP complains that "EAPOL Key message
with invalid authenticator replay counter" (it expected 2 but got 1) and
ignores the key. wpa_supplicant times out because it never receives
anything from the AP.

Long version:
Log from the AP: http://pastebin.com/f414b6a43
Log from wpa_supplicant: http://pastebin.com/f52768a93

Unfortunately the logs are not from the same run (even a different AP
used), but the symptoms are identical so should be useful anyway.

I am wondering if latency issues in the embedded device affects the
handshake, but I've not been able to verify that yet.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? Any help is greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
- Endre