hostapd (latest source) cannot change mode on a rt61pci

Valdemar Lemche valdemar
Sat Oct 31 13:57:40 PDT 2009

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 with a RaLink RT61

# lspci | grep -i rt61
05:08.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g

I've setup a bridge using wlan0 and eth0, and assigned an IP address to br0
device, and I've installed and configured hostapd 0.6.9 from the Ubuntu
repository.

# grep -v \# /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf | grep -v "^$"
interface=wlan0
bridge=br0
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
ssid=test
country_code=SE
hw_mode=g
channel=60
beacon_int=100
dtim_period=2
max_num_sta=255
rts_threshold=2347
fragm_threshold=2346
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=3
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wme_enabled=1
wme_ac_bk_cwmin=4
wme_ac_bk_cwmax=10
wme_ac_bk_aifs=7
wme_ac_bk_txop_limit=0
wme_ac_bk_acm=0
wme_ac_be_aifs=3
wme_ac_be_cwmin=4
wme_ac_be_cwmax=10
wme_ac_be_txop_limit=0
wme_ac_be_acm=0
wme_ac_vi_aifs=2
wme_ac_vi_cwmin=3
wme_ac_vi_cwmax=4
wme_ac_vi_txop_limit=94
wme_ac_vi_acm=0
wme_ac_vo_aifs=2
wme_ac_vo_cwmin=2
wme_ac_vo_cwmax=3
wme_ac_vo_txop_limit=47
wme_ac_vo_acm=0
eapol_key_index_workaround=0
eap_server=0
own_ip_addr=127.0.0.1
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=secret01
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP

But when I try run hostapd from the Ubuntu repository, then although
"CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y" have been uncommented, I still get this error:

# hostapd -K -dd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
ctrl_interface_group=0
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
Could not enable hostapd mode for interface wlan0
hostap driver initialization failed.
wlan0: Unable to setup interface.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory

So I gathered hostapd from ubuntu is broken somehow.

I then followed (partly) this guide,
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/AP-mode_Howto. And downloaded
the hostapd source with git. And after I've build the code, I configured
hostapd.conf the same way as above. But now I get this error:

root at etch:/usr/src/hostap/hostapd# ./hostapd -K -dd hostapd.conf
Configuration file: hostapd.conf
ctrl_interface_group=0
nl80211: Add own interface ifindex 5
nl80211: Add own interface ifindex 4
nl80211: Failed to set interface 4 to mode 3: -16 (Device or resource busy)
nl80211: Failed to set interface wlan0 into AP mode
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
wlan0: Unable to setup interface.
Flushing old station entries
Deauthenticate all stations
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=4 eloop_data=0x9b03850 user_data=0x9b055e8
handler=0x8075950
root at etch:/usr/src/hostap/hostapd#

Any idea whats causing the error?

Just for reference, Ubuntu 9.10 is using kernel 2.6.31.

--
Mfg. Regards, Mvh.
Valdemar Lemche

127 Br?nnestadsv?gen
297 93 Huar?d
Sweden

Phone:      +46 44330423
Cell:       +46 763471949
ICQ#:       28884381
GoogleTalk: vlemche at gmail.com
Email:      valdemar at lemche.net

"Intuitive Software can easily be learned.
You just have to work at it for a long time."
- Ponder Stibbons, Unseen University