[patch] WPS: supplicant may select non-WPS AP for connection

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Oct 15 12:03:52 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 03:40:34PM +0300, Andriy Tkachuk wrote:
> More correct patch attached. Prev. patch does not allow supplicant to
> connect to the AP on Open mode.

> On 2009-07-03 14:53, Andriy Tkachuk wrote:
>> When non-WPS AP have *hidden* SSID set, supplicant may select this AP
>> for WPS connection that is wrong. Moreover such AP may cause false
>> overlap detection. Attached patch solve this issue.

The selecting part seems to be a valid issue, but I do not see how this
would trigger false overlap detection. In addition, this is actually
more generic issue with wildcard SSID matching and not limited to just
WPS. As such, the proper fix is also more generic: skip BSSes for which
we do not know the SSID (ssid_len == 0). This applies both to
wpa_supplicant_select_bss_non_wpa() and wpa_supplicant_select_bss_wpa()
(the latter one, though, only applies for WPS case; the former for
non-WPS, too).