EAP: buildIdentity: configuration was not available; any suggestion?

Jouni Malinen j
Fri May 29 11:26:11 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 08:37:52AM +0700, Pongsak Tawankanjanachot wrote:

>    I'm now using wpa_supplicant 0.5.8 connecting with Access
> Point-WPA2(Radius,CCMP). STA connects with AP successfully. But it
> sometimes, shows the error message during association.
>    Debug message at wpa_supplicant, it keeps showing: (I copy some part of a
> long list)
>
> EAP: EAP entering state RECEIVED
> EAP: Received EAP-Request id=3 method=1 vendor=0 vendorMethod=0
> EAP: EAP entering state IDENTITY
> CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STARTED EAP authentication started
> EAP: EAP-Request Identity data - hexdump_ascii(len=0):
>
> *EAP: buildIdentity: configuration was not available*

I think this has been reported in the past couple of times, but I have
not been able to reproduce the issue myself and as such, I'm not sure
what exactly is causing it. For some reason, wpa_supplicant might not be
able to find the network configuration block which could happen, e.g.,
if the driver does not report the association properly.

I would need to see a full debug log (with -ddt on the command line)
from the very beginning to the point where this error shows up to try to
figure out what could be causing the problem.