[HostAP] ARP packets forwarding

Alexandre Becholey alexandre
Mon May 11 08:04:13 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've set up an Access Point on a PC with hostapd from git and the latest
kernel from wireless-testing. This AP has an Ethernet interface (eth0)
and a wireless interface (wlan0) which are bridged together (br0). I can
associate with this AP with any pc (I can ping and ssh it). From these
wirelessly connect PC (say stations), I can also ping and ssh any
computer on the LAN (connected to eth0), but from the LAN PCs, I can't
ping any stations.

With wireshark and tcpdump, I can see that there is a problem with the
ARP packets. ARP request from the stations can reach any computers and
they receive the corresponding replies. When a ARP request is sent by a
LAN computer it arrives to the AP (I can see them on all interfaces with
tcpdump), but I don't see them on the air with a computer sniffing the
AP's channel with wireshark.

Do you have any clue where these ARP replies are blocked? There is the
same problem with packets that are broadcasted (like ping -b
"broad_cast_address"). Thanks

Best regards,

Alexandre Becholey