bind(PF_UNIX): Address already in use,Failed to setup control interface

Jouni Malinen j
Wed May 6 01:35:17 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:56:46PM +0200, GNUtoo wrote:

>  * Starting hostapd ...Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
> Using interface wlan1 with hwaddr 00:22:15:3f:b0:7c and ssid 'my_essid'
> bind(PF_UNIX): Address already in use
> Failed to setup control interface

I added code to workaround such a result of an unclean shutdown of
hostapd:
http://w1.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=commitdiff;h=617d1555479aecf3bf13e35202a46c63e8d19052

As a workaround, you could also disable the control interface (comment
out ctrl_iface line in hostapd.conf) if you are not using it or make the
startup script remove the socket file (likely /var/run/hostapd/wlan1 in
this case) before starting hostapd.