wpa_supplicant fails to use a correct network block, but succeeds when forced by wpa_cli.

Par Holmstrom par.holmstrom
Wed Jun 17 07:16:21 PDT 2009

Hi all,

In my config below,  the 2nd network block is a valid/correct
configuration (works if listed alone, or as the first block).
With this configuration,  wpa_supplicant fails to connect to the
access point and just loops forever between the
1st and 2nd network block.

But, if wpa_supplicant is forced by wpa_cli to use the correct block
like this:  "wpa_cli -ieth1 select_network 1" then
wpa_supplicant gets the point and is able to connect, (although
sometimes i have to run the wpa_cli cmd twice)

# cat wpa.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=2

network={
        ssid="WTFz"
        scan_ssid=1
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=CCMP
        group=CCMP
        psk="passpass"
}
network={
        ssid="WTFz"
        scan_ssid=1
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        psk="passpass"
}

I'm out of ideas on how to pinpoint this error further.
- AFAIK my config file _should_ work, but I could be wrong. :-)

Is this a bug, or have I miss-configured anything?

wpa_supplicant args:  -Dwext -ieth1 -c wpa.conf -d
wpa_supplicant v0.6.9
kernel v2.6.27 (using libertas driver)
h/w : Marvell 8686 sdio
AP:  hidden ssid, WPA-PSK  & TKIP