Authentication Time out

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon Jul 13 06:39:38 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 15:11 +0800, Wei Yang (wyang2) wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> When I configure the supplicant with this:
>
> network={
>         ssid="beautybeast"
>         scan_ssid=1
>         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>         proto=WPA
>         pairwise=TKIP
>         group=TKIP
>         psk="12345678"
> }
>
> The output shows:
>
> Associated with 00:21:29:72:a0:bd
> Authentication with 00:21:29:72:a0:bd timed out.

The driver couldn't connect within the timeout, which is pretty long.
What's the 'ap_scan' value, are you leaving it default (1) or are you
changing it?

> I am confused with this.
>
> BTW, if I use this configuration
> network={
>         ssid="beautybeast"
>         key_mgmt=NONE
> }

So that means your network doesn't actually require encryption to
connect.  Can you post the scan result (iwlist wlan0 scan) for that AP?
(obscure the BSSID If you like)  Need to see what flags the AP has in
the beacon.

So you obviously are trying to use encryption to connect.  There are a
few possibilities:

1) The AP isn't actually set up for encryption, so obviously using
encryption with wpa_supplicant isn't going to work

2) The AP is set up for encryption on a hidden SSID (Cisco calls this
Guest Mode or something) but the broadcast SSID is unencrypted, and
you're trying to connect using the broadcast SSID but the hidden
network's security details

3) Random driver problems; easier to debug if you note which kernel
version you're using, and what wifi hardware and driver.

Dan