wpa_supplicant with Ralink wireless driver

Pongsak Tawankanjanachot egapongsak
Sun Jan 25 23:57:10 PST 2009

Hi,
   Sorry for the last mail, I accidently press send email short key.
   I'm now trying to setup wireless device (Ralink driver) to use
wpa_supplicant connecting to LinkSys AccessPoint (WAP54G).
   My radius server is running by freeradius.
   I once use my laptop (WindowsXP SP2) connected to LinkSys with
WPA-Enterprise (either TKIP/AES). Everything works fine. I got IP, can
access network.

  However, my wireless device is Ralink chipset (embedded system) running on
Linux (mipsel-linux-compiler). It can do WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES) assocation.
  My goal is to add WPA-Enterprise (either WPA, WPA2) on this driver.
  I use wpa_supplicant ver 0.4.7 with this wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=/sbin
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=2
fast_reauth=1
network={
    ssid="LinkSys_75"
    key_mgmt=WPA-EAP IEEE8021X
    pairwise=CCMP TKIP
    group=CCMP TKIP
    psk="atopatop"
    eap=PEAP
    identity="test"
    password="test"
    ca_cert="/sbin/ca.pem"
    client_cert="/sbin/ca.pem"
    phase1="peaplabel=0"
    phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
}

then run this command
./wpa_supplicant -d -c/sbin/wpa_supplicant.conf -ira0 -Dwext

Initializing interface 'ra0' conf '/sbin/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'wext'
ctrl_interface 'N/A'
Configuration file '/sbin/wpa_supplicant.conf' ->
'/sbin/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/sbin/wpa_supplicant.conf'
ctrl_interface='/sbin'
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=2
fast_reauth=1
Priority group 0
   id=0 ssid='LinkSys_75'
Initializing interface (2) 'ra0'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
RT61: RfIcType= 3
ioctl[SIOCGIWRANGE]: Operation not supported
Own MAC address: 00:1a:4d:28:ef:5b
wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - Driver does not support WPA.
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
Driver did not support SIOCSIWENCODEEXT, trying SIOCSIWENCODE
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
Driver did not support SIOCSIWENCODEEXT, trying SIOCSIWENCODE
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=2 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
Driver did not support SIOCSIWENCODEEXT, trying SIOCSIWENCODE
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=3 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
Driver did not support SIOCSIWENCODEEXT, trying SIOCSIWENCODE
wpa_driver_wext_set_countermeasures
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
Using existing control interface directory.
Added interface ra0
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'ra0' added
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'ra0' added
State: DISCONNECTED -> SCANNING
Trying to associate with SSID 'LinkSys_75'
Cancelling scan request
WPA: clearing own WPA/RSN IE
Automatic auth_alg selection: 0x1
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 6 value 0x1 - WPA: No WPA/RSN IE available from association
info
WPA: Set cipher suites based on configuration
WPA: Selected cipher suites: group 24 pairwise 24 key_mgmt 9
WPA: clearing AP WPA IE
WPA: clearing AP RSN IE
WPA: using GTK CCMP
WPA: using PTK CCMP
WPA: using KEY_MGMT 802.1X
WPA: Set own WPA IE default - hexdump(len=22): 30 14 01 00 00 0f ac 04 01 00
00 0f ac 04 01 00 00 0f ac 01 00 00
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - State: SCANNING -> ASSOCIATING
wpa_driver_wext_associate
ioctl[SIOCSIWGENIE]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 0 value 0x4 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 1 value 0x8 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 2 value 0x8 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 3 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 10 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 8 value 0x0 - Association request to the driver failed
Setting authentication timeout: 60 sec 0 usec
EAPOL: External notification - portControl=Auto

then it waits....so long..
until I press ctrl+c to cancel

CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING - signal 2 received
Removing interface ra0
State: ASSOCIATING -> DISCONNECTED
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 7 value 0x0 - Failed to disable WPA in the driver.
wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x0 - wpa_driver_wext_set_countermeasures
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - No keys have been configured - skip key
clearing
Control interface directory not empty - leaving it behind
Cancelling scan request

    What am I suppoed to do? Can anyone just give me some clues so that I
can go further?
    Or I'm supposed to dig into the source code?
    I once try ./wpa_supplicant -d -c/sbin/wpa_supplicant.conf -ira0
-Dralink but it says Unsupported driver 'ralink'

Best regards,
Pongsak