WPS: reconnections in Open mode

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Jan 21 04:23:24 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 01:07:32PM +0200, Andriy Tkachuk wrote:

> It seems that there is a problem with Open mode in hostapd when
> connecting STA via WPS to it. Registration passes successfully, but when
> STA reconnects in Open mode hostapd starts 802.1X authentication with it:

> I think it is because in WPS mode we have integrated EAP server enabled
> in hostapd which tries to authenticate STA.

Yes, we need to be able to start WPS negotiation with EAPOL state
machines if the STA sends an EAPOL-Start message. The previous version
worked by always starting the EAPOL state machines, but that did not
work with open mode (or static WEP for that matter). I fixed this by
moving the EAPOL state machine initialization to happen only when
receiving EAPOL-Start in this kind of configuration. That seems to
resolve the issue.