Feedback on setting CONFIG_IEEE80211N=y on non-N devices

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Jan 10 11:44:42 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:27:02AM -0800, Stephen Gutknecht (hilltx) wrote:

> On OpenWRT users are starting to use N hardware more and more.  The
> ath9k driver now supports hostapd for example.  Currently the default
> compile OpenWRT uses is to have hostapd with CONFIG_IEEE80211N=n which
> limits these devices to 54Mbps rate.

If that CONFIG_IEEE80211N=n is really in the .config file, it is
actually enabling IEEE 802.11n support.. It does not matter what value
is used for the variable, i.e., just defining it is enough to enable
it.

> Anyone have feedback or recommendations on changing compile option to
> CONFIG_IEEE80211N=y for all builds?  is it likely to cause problems,
> compatibility issues with non-N devices?

It will increase the binary size, but other than that, it should not
cause problems to non-802.11n devices. Or at least I'm not aware of any
problems and would like to know if someone can find one.