Use hostapd to set master mode?

Grant emailgrant
Sun Feb 22 12:29:28 PST 2009

>> i am plumbing to get an AP with hostapd and nl80211 working too, in my
>> case with driver p54_pci.
>> in order to get an interface in master mode, i have to use
>> # iw phy phy0 interface add myap type __ap
>> this gets me a seperate virtual interface that i can then use with
>> hostapd.
> No you can do this much easier..
> just load the driver and run hostapd.
> (Of course you have to set interface=wlan0 (depends on your setup) in hostapd.conf before)

Thanks to Ahmad, my interface will go into master mode after another
kernel patch, but I'm getting a new
error.  Depending on the channel I set in hostapd.conf, I get either:

"ioctl[SIOCSIFFLAGS]: Operation not permitted"

or:

"could not set channel for kernel driver"

and hostapd fails to start.  Do you know how to fix this?

- Grant