rt61 device works in master mode with hostapd 0.6.4 but not 0.6.7 or 0.7.0

Cengiz Günay cengique
Mon Feb 16 13:05:32 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 6:08 AM, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:

> I'm not sure I understood what you mean, but I cannot reproduce such a
> problem if I remove CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y from .config. It results in
> an error like this:
>
> Line 2: invalid/unknown driver 'nl80211'

Thank you for looking into this. That's what I meant, but I cannot be sure
now. I have so many hostapd versions. :( I was pretty sure I forgot to copy
and edit the .config file before compiling the git version of hostapd (0.7.0
from last week or so). I will try to reproduce what I claimed earlier.
Unfortunately my rt61 is being used by several people, so I find rare
opportunities to test new configurations.

If you mean not specifying driver=nl80211 in hostapd.conf and you have
> enabled more than one driver, another driver wrapper is used and that
> may result in odd looking warnings/errors.

No, I had this line in hostapd.conf.

Thanks also John for the success report. It gives me a little more
confidence in getting this to work. I have the same configuration, but I
suspect there are old programs in my Debian unstable/testing distribution.
Today I upgraded udev and now I get the "allowed channels" list in hostapd
output. That's a major improvement for me. I also manually installed
wireless-regdb and crda packages. I'm not sure if they are used, but I see
the udev messages in the monitor program when I run hostapd.

I'll hopefully report success next time I write.

--
Cengiz Gunay