EAPOL-KEY packet routing question in case of running both supplicant and authenticator simultaneously

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Feb 15 04:27:50 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 04:39:52PM +0900, ????? wrote:

> If we run both supplicant and authenticator simultaneously in a same process, how can we distinguish the destination of a received EAPOL-KEY ? That is, how can we know whether this packet is for supplicant or for authenticator ?

> Because 'l2_packet_init' function has no argument to tell the above thing, I think we should use the content field of EAPOL-KEY. For example, supplicant first tries the received packet. If this fails, the received packet is routed to authenticator. Is this appraoch right ?

That would be one way of doing this. I ended up adding a function to
figure out whether the frame is for Authenticator or Supplicant based on
the EAPOL-Key contents (mainly, whether the Ack flag is set or not). See
ibss_rsn_eapol_dst_supp() function in wpa_supplicant/ibss_rsn.c for more
details.