wpa_supplicant/ath5k won't detect hidden SSID when CONFIG_WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY disabled

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof
Sat Feb 14 13:14:24 PST 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Fiouz <fiouzy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running wpa_supplicant 0.6.7 with the latest compat-wireless package
> (2009-02-14), I can't connect to my hidden SSID when I comment-out the
> CONFIG_WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY option from config.mk.
>
> The driver is ath5k and I have CRDA and the regulatory database loaded
> as shown in dmesg:
>
> [21171.159156] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
> [21179.832206] cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: US

Is that all you get on your kernel log about CRDA? You should see a list of
frequency ranges, if not then I suspect your udev is not issuing out
the udev event correctly. Can you try to upgrade to your latest
distribution's udev just in case -- I doubt this is the issue but I
have heard in one case that fixed the issue to a user. Then to verify
udev is peachy you can do:

udevadm monitor --environment kernel

If you see the udev events then the next step is to check the udev
rule is actually being called. To do this you can mv crda to
/sbin/crda-foo and write your own /sbin/crda that does something like:

#!/bin/bash
CRDA_LOG=/tmp/crda-debug-log
date >> $CRDA_LOG
echo $COUNTRY >> $CRDA_LOG
/sbin/crda-foo $COUNTRY
echo $? >> $CRDA_LOG

I guess we should add a -d flag to crda to let you just change the
udev rule to do this.

Not that udevd uses dnotify/inotify for directory/file changes on its
udev dir/files so there is no need to restart the deamon once a new
file is put in place.

> wpa_supplicant is configured with ap_scan=1 and my network block has
> scan_ssid=1. Setting ap_scan=2 does not help.
>
> I don't know where to look for a fix, since I'm unsure whether it's
> wpa_supplicant's, ath5k's or mac80211's error.
>

> Any pointer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can you add to config.mk:

CFG80211_REG_DEBUG=y

and then recompile and install compat-wireless?

  Luis