Questions about WPS

Marcel Holtmann marcel
Wed Dec 30 02:51:07 PST 2009

Hi Jouni,

> > Does WPS suppose to support access points that are configured with WEP?
>
> In theory, yes, but in practice, you would probably be better off
> ignoring it and just assuming it does not..
>
> > I have seen some APs with WEP encryption enabled and still containing
> > the WPS IE in its scan results. Seems the IE is cut down to version
> > details only, but never less the IE is present.
>
> There are known interoperability issues with the way WPS with WEP
> encryption is implemented (or not implemented at all).
>
> > Will WPS work also with IEEE 802.1x / EAP? Or is it just PSK key
> > management only. So is WPS a WPA-Personal only feature or would it also
> > apply to WPA-Enterprise?
>
> Again, in theory, WPA-Enterprise could be supported. However, I'm not
> aware of anyone implementing support for it and as such, I would suggest
> assuming that you can only use WPS to configure WPA/WPA2-Personal (and
> open networks for that matter, if you really want to use WPS for it).

everything that I found on the Internet so far, was just talking about
PSK anyway. So either with WPA/RSN with PSK or ignore WPS. Sounds good
enough for me.

Initial testing with some of the WPS capable access points here also
reveals that they don't really bother to update the IE correctly.

So telling if WPS is actually usable or if WPA/RSN has been manually
configured is kinda hard.

> > What is actually the clients job when it comes to credentials? Do we
> > have to remember them? How does this work with reboots and automatic
> > reconnects?
>
> Depends on what you mean with "client" ;-). wpa_supplicant does have
> internal mechanism for keeping the configuration file up-to-date
> (though, disabled by default). However, if you are using wpa_supplicant
> with D-Bus and not really configuring any networks through the
> configuration, yes, you would need to process the credentials and
> remember them. In other words, this would be just another mechanism for
> adding a new network configuration into whatever component is
> maintaining the list of configured networks on the system.

I am talking about clients talking to wpa_supplicant via D-Bus and then
using WPS. I am little bit confused about the "ProcessCredentials"
property. Does this actually make sense for a D-Bus client?

Regards

Marcel