How to handle multiple SSIDs with the same BSS

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Dec 29 13:52:24 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 04:12:03AM -0800, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> there is a memory leak somewhere. I have been pondering the D-Bus
> interface for two days now. And at some point my laptop with 3GB RAM
> went into serious swapping mode. Killing wpa_supplicant from the console
> brought it back to life. I haven't had time to track this down yet.

Have you been able to reproduce this? It looks like both libdbus-1 and
libxml2 are doing some internally memory allocations which I have not
found any way of freeing, so valgrind shows about 28 kB or so being
reachable when wpa_supplicant is killed. Anyway, this did not seem to go
up with simple D-Bus API use and is obviously not even remotely enough
to any swapping issues by itself..

The only way that I managed to get memory use explode was by
accidentally breaking the build by changing build configuration without
rebuilding some objects (managed to get the BSS list into different
location for D-Bus code.. not a good idea). That resulted in an infinite
loop adding a BSS entry to a message which would have used all the
available memory eventually. This would have eaten most of the CPU, too,
for a while. I have no idea whether you could have seen something
similar, but at least I haven't yet figured out a way to trigger a
memory leak that would increase memory use continuously.