Problem with BSS properties

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Dec 26 13:31:15 PST 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 11:29:31AM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:

> I think dropping noise floor is a bad idea unless you add another mechanism
> at the same time to get it (is there a mechanism in the new d-bus api?).
> The quality parameter has never been useful IMO and dropping it would make
> sense.

Noise floor stopped being available as part of scan results quite some
time ago with mac80211-based drivers and wpa_supplicant does not
currently receive it with nl80211 at all. It might still be possible to
get it with other driver interfaces (with non-mac80211 drivers)..

In other words, dropping it from the D-Bus API for scan results may not
change that much at this point. Anyway, I do want to get wpa_supplicant
supporting the new survey commands in nl80211 to get the per-channel
noise floor information (and some other statistics like TX/RX use). This
should also be made available through the new D-Bus API.