How to handle multiple SSIDs with the same BSS

Dan Williams dcbw
Fri Dec 25 15:12:30 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-25 at 15:29 -0800, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Dan,

> > > the BSSID is unique, but an access point can broadcast two different
> > > SSIDs via the same BSSID.
> > >
> > > This is not about the same SSID. We are talking about different SSIDs
> > > from the same access point.
> >
> > This used to be used for Cisco APs where the main broadcasted SSID was
> > the "public" SSID (Guest SSID) and there was a second non-broadcast SSID
> > using the same BSSID.  Of course, the public SSID shows up in the scan
> > results unless you probe-scan for the hidden one.  Yay.
>
> I have all variations of these Cisco APs around. When both are hidden
> then you are also going to have fun. So far it is just pure luck which
> one shows up first. Especially with Intel wireless cards where you
> always get the full set of scan results after a probe scan.

Yup; internally I believe mac80211 (if it doesn't it should) stores
things as a tuple of (ssid,bssid).  We should be carrying that unique ID
through the whole stack, from driver -> supplicant -> connection
manager.

Dan