WPA-PSK on Thinkpad T40

Stephen Bosch posting
Tue Dec 15 16:04:03 PST 2009

Hello:

I have a Thinkpad T40 with Windows installed on it. I would like to
swap the hard disk out and run Gentoo instead.

To do that, I need to be able to connect to my WLAN in my shared
apartment from the Gentoo LiveCD.

The WLAN here uses a 26 character hex psk, but it is most definitely
WPA-PSK, and not WEP. I confirmed this with:

iwlist eth1 scan

Looking at the SSID for our WLAN, it says WPA Version 1, TKIP and
TKIP. Exactly how I have been configuring it.

Yet, when I put a line like this in wpa_supplicant.conf:

psk=[26 character hex key without quotes]

it tells me the psk is invalid and refuses to start because it can't
parse the .conf file.

If I put it in quotes, it starts, but the connection fails, because,
well, it's a hex psk.

Why doesn't this work? I've searched and searched for a solution.
There is an old thread addressing this, but a solution was never found
and the original poster didn't follow up.

I should mention that this key, and this configuration, works just
fine with the adapter in Windows.

Thanks,

-Stephen-