[hostap] Make hostap dissociate and re-associate with clients

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Dec 3 11:23:39 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:43:13PM -0500, Shruti Sanadhya wrote:

> I have a hostap running on a fedora core 10 (kernel 2.6.27.5) with an
> atheros AR9610 chipset. I want to dynamically dissociate the AP from an
> active client if I add the MAC address to the 'deny' list. It works fine if
> the client tries to associate after it has beed added in the deny list. But
> in cases where the client is already associated it does not kill the
> connection. Restarting hostap is one option but my system gets hung. Has
> anybody tried this before? Does anybody know anyway the AP can just
> reauthenticate users?

How do you get the deny list update loaded into hostapd after the
change? If you use SIGHUP to do this, that should disconnect all
stations and as such, require the station in question to try to
reassociate if it still wants to use the network.

As far as system getting hung is concerned, that should obviously not
happen. If you can reproduce that with a recent kernel (as in, 2.6.32),
I would suggest reporting more details of that to the linux-wireless
mailing list.