Ad-Hoc Mode with WEP enryption ?

Manuel Sahm Manuel.Sahm
Mon Aug 10 07:16:14 PDT 2009

Hello thanks, I tried the following, then I saw an encrypted Ad-Hoc network on my host PC (win XP) and I try to connect to it. I enter ABCDEFABCD and the "Connection OK" appears.
But I am not able to seind PINGs ?!
(Without encryption all works fine ?)

Thanks a lot

This is my new procedure - maybe still anything wrong ?

//Delete/Remove network interface
wpa_cli -g /var/run/wpa_supplicant-global interface_remove wlan0

// (Re)Add a new interface (wlan0, no configuration file, driver=wext, and enable control interface)
wpa_cli -iwlan -g /var/run/wpa_supplicant-global interface_add wlan0 "" wext /var/run/wpa_supplicant
// Ad-Hoc Mode
wpa_cli ap_scan 2

//Configure a network...
wpa_cli -iwlan0 add_network

// 64-bit WEP-Key
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 wep_key0 ABCDEFABCD
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 wep_tx_keyidx 0
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 key_mgmt NONE

// Set SSID
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 ssid '"linksys"'

// set the Ad-Hoc network mode
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 mode 1

// set the channel
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 frequency 2412

//Enable Configured WLAN Network
"wpa_cli -iwlan0 enable_network 0

>>> Atton Jonathan <jonathan.atton at gmail.com> 10.08.2009 15:11 >>>
Your hexadecimal key seems invalid, try with 10 hexadecimal characters.

Hello I tried the following code to get an encrypted Ad-Hoc Connection to my PC.

Without WEP Enryption all works fine, but if I swtich encryption on, no encryption is mentioned on my host PC (Windows XP)

This is what I do: - Any idea what could be wrong ?

Thanks very very much

//Delete/Remove network interface
wpa_cli -g /var/run/wpa_supplicant-global interface_remove wlan0

// (Re)Add a new interface (wlan0, no configuration file, driver=wext, and enable control interface)
wpa_cli -iwlan -g /var/run/wpa_supplicant-global interface_add wlan0 "" wext /var/run/wpa_supplicant
// Ad-Hoc Mode
wpa_cli ap_scan 2

//Configure a network...
wpa_cli -iwlan0 add_network

// 64-bit WEP-Key
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 wep_key0 ABCDEFABCDEFABCD
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 wep_tx_keyidx 0
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 key_mgmt NONE

// Set SSID
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 ssid '"linksys"'

// set the Ad-Hoc network mode
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 mode 1

// set the channel
wpa_cli -iwlan0 set_network 0 frequency 2412

//Enable Configured WLAN Network
"wpa_cli -iwlan0 enable_network 0

Regards.