wpa_supplicant key_mgmt=IEEE8021X issue

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon Oct 6 09:18:34 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 18:55 +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 06:28:07PM +0300, Andriy Tkachuk wrote:
>
> > I noticed that when key_mgmt=IEEE8021X wpa_supplicant tries to connect
> > to WPA enabled APs, for example:
> >
> > 1223306606.324317: 2: 00:14:c2:a4:1b:e2 ssid='WLAN4TEST' wpa_ie_len=24 rsn_ie_len=20 caps=0x10
> > 1223306606.324336:    selected non-WPA AP 00:14:c2:a4:1b:e2 ssid='WLAN4TEST'
>
> Hmm.. My first thought was that this should not really happen, but after
> a bit more thorough attempt at remembering why this ended up being the
> case, I think this is actually by design..
>
> Non-WPA clients would not know about WPA/RSN IE and as such, they would
> attempt to associate even if the WPA/RSN IE is included Beacon/Probe
> Response frames. As such, wpa_supplicant ignores WPA/RSN IE when WPA
> mode is not enabled and allows (non-WPA) IEEE 802.1X to attempt using
> the AP.

Some non-WPA-capable parts can certainly interpret IEs and pass those
along (which is quite useful) but can't actually connect with WPA.  Airo
comes to mind, but another case is prism54 (fullmac) where it can find
WPA IEs but can't handle CCMP encryption.  Same thing; the card reports
the AP capabilities correctly but obviously you have to ensure that the
AP's capabilities intersect with the card's.

Dan