support question: hostapd does not recognize working interface

Alexander Huemer alexander.huemer
Wed Nov 19 11:29:47 PST 2008

Alexander Huemer wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am writing to this list, because hostapd-0.6.4 fails to start with the
> following messages:
>
>     # hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
>     Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
>     ioctl(SIOCGIFINDEX): No such device
>     prism54 driver initialization failed.
>     rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
>     ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=3 eloop_data=0x80b7630 user_data=(nil)
>     handler=0x807dff0
>     ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=4 eloop_data=0x80b7d70 user_data=(nil)
>     handler=0x807db20
>     #
>
> i do not know why and search help here.
> here is some information about my environment:
> distribution: gentoo
> kernel: 2.6.26.6 with gentoo patches.
> interface: 00:0e.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation ISL3890
> [Prism GT/Prism Duette]/ISL3886 [Prism Javelin/Prism Xbow] (rev 01)
> kernel config: http://xx.vu/~ahuemer/config

i think i know a little bit more now.
it seems like the prism54 driver included in current kernels does not
support something that hostapd needs.
is that true?
i also read something about the nl80211 interface.
the ebuild for hostapd-0.6.4 (the rules to build hostapd on the local
machine) says, that nl80211 subsystem of hostapd is disabled, because
the current kernel does not yet support it.
i am running 2.6.26, and 2.6.27 does not seem to support it either.
on http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/patches/kernel/all/LATEST/ i did not
find any related patches.
does anybody know more?

--