Interface doesn't accept private ioctl...

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Nov 14 13:13:19 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:18:46AM +0100, Rub?n Gonz?lez wrote:

> I'm trying to set aditional information elements into beacon frames through
> a simple program that manages SIOCSIWGENIE ioctl. I have based the code on
> the one of the iwpriv program, so it didn't take me to long to write and
> compile. The fact is that the calling to this ioctl always returns a
> negative value, that is that this interface doesn't accept this private
> ioctl. I'm using a 3Com card Intersil Prism 2.5 chipset based with updated
> station firmware to 1.8.2, and a linux kernel version 2.6.18. Does anybody
> have an idea about how to make this ioctl work at the AP wlan0 interface? Is
> there a patch or similar needed?

Have you taken a look at how hostapd and wpa_supplicant use this ioctl?
Or to be more exact, how wpa_supplicant driver_wext.c does this? hostapd
and driver_hostap.c in wpa_supplicant are still using the private ioctl
with PRISM2_HOSTAPD_SET_GENERIC_ELEMENT.

> Is it recomended to update the kernel
> version to 2.6.24 or higher and make use of the mac80211 stack?

I don't remember when SIOCSIWGENIE was added, so you may have to use the
Host AP driver private ioctl with 2.6.18. 2.6.24 should have the new
version, but either way, Host AP driver does not use mac80211.