Passive Scannning

Dan Williams dcbw
Thu Nov 6 13:16:25 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 20:41 +0530, Kiran Kulkarni wrote:
> In wpa_supplicant I am searching for a functionality where I will put my
> system in passive scan which will only listen to beacons. And if
> networks are available I should get some notification on D-Bus or Socket
> interface.

On Linux, wpa_supplicant will only request probe-scans when you have
"scan_ssid=1" in a network block.  Otherwise, it's up to the driver
whether passive or active scans are used.

You'll get a notification on the D-Bus interface when new scan results
are available, not sure about the socket interface.

Dan