wpa_supplicant v0.6.3 loses connection, then reconnects to a different AP

David Ehrmann ehrmann
Sun May 18 21:59:26 PDT 2008

Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 10:52 -0700, David Ehrmann wrote:
>> When my connection drops, wpa_supplicant 0.6.3 sometimes reconnects to
>> an AP on the same SSID, but with a different BSSID.  I thought that
>> specifying the BSSID would force that one to always be used.
>
>>From the sample wpa_supplicant.conf:
>
> # bssid: BSSID (optional); if set, this network block is used only when
> #       associating with the AP using the configured BSSID
>
> In other words, this block (including the authentication data) won't be
> used with another BSSID.
>
> I think it's more likely that the driver associates by itself, or it
> reports something wrong.
>
> Does the other AP need WPA?

Yes.  It's a different AP on the same network.

> What's the driver you are using?

An Atheros driver, but under ndiswrapper (it's more stable than madwifi,
for some reason).

> What in the kernel version?

2.6.24.2

> What is the command line for wpa_supplicant?

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlan0 -D wext

> Does wpa_supplicant report anything about the other BSSID in the log?

I should probably start logging things...

> What happens if you add an entry for the other BSSID with a wrong identity and password?

The other BSSID has a signal quality of around 9 (I'm told this is dB).
  It fails connecting due to a weak signal, alone, and I can't easily
move things to make a reliable connection attempt.