Difference between WPA/WPA2 state machine and EAPOL state machine?

Christian Fackroth Proger
Thu May 15 02:31:58 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have a problem to understand the different task between WPA/WPA2 state machine
and EAPOL state machine. I think the EAPOL state machine realize the IEEE 802.11i
state machine for authentication and the WPA state machine do this for the
IEEE 802.11i / D3.0. But why is the WPA state machine also call WPA2 state machine?
Also the WPA/WPA2 state machine have a reference to the EAPOL state machine.
This is for me not quite clear! Can somebody explain me this?

Many thanks in advance!

Christian