WPA2 interoperability problems between hostapd 0.4.10 and wpa_supplicant 0.5.9?

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Mar 24 10:14:22 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:32:28PM -0400, Clem Taylor wrote:

> I'm using wpa_supplicant v0.5.9 and I've been having problems keeping
> connected to a wireless router that is running hostapd 0.4.10. I'm
> using WPA2-PSK (RSN) and sometimes when the client looses its
> connection (AP reboot and random connection loss) it fails to
> re-authenticate with the AP.

Which driver are you using in the client and in the AP?

> But other times it doesn't produce an error message. If I terminate
> the wpa_supplicant and restart, the connection will sometimes recover,
> but other times it will continue to fail to authenticate. If I
> terminate wpa_supplicant, wait several minutes and then restart the
> connection always seems to recover.

This could indicate that the driver and wpa_supplicant in the client get
out-of-sync on PMK entries (PMKID is included in the RSN IE which has to
match between (Re)Association Request and msg 1/2 and these are from the
driver and wpa_supplicant, respectively).

> Are there any known interoperability problems between older hostapd
> and newer wpa_supplicant?

Not that I'm aware of.