Does Hostapd support Diameter protocol now?

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 11 00:22:26 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:40:29PM +0800, xodpox wrote:

> Can anyone kindly tell me if hostapd can be used as an 802.1X authenticator
> while the authentication server is OpenDiameter?
> Or where I can find some more information about how to implement this?

The current version of hostapd does not include a Diameter client, so
native authentication using the Diameter protocol is not going to work.
I would assume it would be possible to authenticate with OpenDiameter by
using an external translation agent/proxy that would take care of
translation between RADIUS and Diameter, though.

As far as native Diameter support is concerned, one would need to
implement a Diameter authentication client into hostapd similarly to the
way the RADIUS authentication client is implemented. So far, there has
not been many request for this (I think this may be the first question
on this topic that I've seen) and as such, adding support for this has
not been very high on my priority list.