wpa supplicant fails 4-way handshake

Pavel Roskin proski
Tue Jun 17 17:44:30 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 16:52 -0700, Ken Koster wrote:
> I'm having problems connecting to the guest network here at work.
>
> Immediately after the access points have been powered up I have no trouble
> connecting and authenticating.  However within a period of 1-7 days both my
> Linux laptop (Thinkpad T60p with Intel 3945 chipset) and my Nokia N-800 will
> suddenly no longer be able to connect while my co-workers Dell laptops
> running windows connect just fine.  Our IT guy says 'hey it works for windows
> so it must be Linux' and I'm stuck waiting for the access points to be reset
> so I can get back on for a couple of days.

My first guess is that the AP may be blacklisting the MAC addresses used
by your devices.  That could be checked by using another device.  Do
they all stop working at once?

How does the AP look in the scan results?  Does it support WPA2?  Maybe
you could try it?

> We have two access points with the same ESSID one on ch-1 and the other
> on ch-11.  Both are quite strong,  -60dbm to -65dbm.

Do the APs stop working at once?  Does each of them stop working for all
Linux devices at once?

> EAPOL: startWhen --> 0
> EAPOL: disable timer tick

I see this in my logs...

> EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state CONNECTING
> EAPOL: enable timer tick
> EAPOL: txStart
> WPA: drop TX EAPOL in non-IEEE 802.1X mode (type=1 len=0)

... but not this.  Another random idea - try compiling wpa_supplicant
without EAPOL.  Disable CONFIG_IEEE8021X_EAPOL and all options starting
with CONFIG_EAP.

Also make sure your wpa_supplicant.conf contains only things you
understand.  If it's based on the long version with all comments, try
making a short version with only one entry for the network you are using
and nothing else.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin