Drop dependency on pcsc-lite

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Jul 23 08:27:42 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:17:18AM +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> In ubuntu, we are currently considering the pcsc-lite support of
> wpa_supplicant. We currently do not support the pcsc-lite package in the
> 'main' component of ubuntu, and are pondering a way of avoiding that. In
> other words, we look for some way for enabling smartcard support without
> having the pcsc-lite package available at build time.

You need pcsc-lite header files to build pcsc_funcs.c, so I don't think
this exact requirement would be met, but it may be more feasible to make
a binary package that can be run both with and without pcsc-lite library
(.so/.a) being present.

> A technical solution would be to include use dlopen() the
> libpcsclite.so.1 library. Now I would like to ask you if you think this
> approach feasible/acceptable and would consider an according patch to that.

Actually, Windows port of pcsc_funcs.c is already using LoadLibrary()
when built with MinGW, so something very similar is already present. I
would need to see a patch before being able to say whether it is
acceptable, but as far as this type of approach is concerned, I think it
would be feasible for 0.6.x branch.