Fwd: Messed up PCMCIA firmware

Madhusudan Singh singh.madhusudan
Sat Jul 19 16:11:17 PDT 2008

Hello,

Thanks for your message.

I have had some time this weekend to take care of this problem.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 09:36 -0700, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
>
> Both wlan0 and wifi0 are mentioned.  They must be registered.
>
> > ifconfig does not show any wlan0/wifi0 interface after the insertion.
>
> "ifconfig -a" will show them.  The interfaces must be down.

You are right. I could not bring them up with a simple ifup though. That
needed a few additional steps :

> > How do I do that (is it option -g ?) ? If so, what is the argument to
> > the command (there is no wlan0 interface, remember) ?
>
> It's all documented.  Please try following the instructions and report
> if it doesn't work.  I don't have time for hand holding.

Thanks for the comment. Indeed, I needed to google it a little more. The
result is this :

If I do the following :

sudo prism2_srec -vv -gp -O /proc/net/hostap/wlan0/pda wlan0 ak010101.hex
(this file is from version 1.5.6 of the firmware on linux.junsun.net)
followed by,
 sudo prism2_srec -vv -rp -O /proc/net/hostap/wlan0/pda wlan0 rf010704.hex
(this file is from version 1.7.4 of the firmware)

and wait a few seconds, I can get Networkmanager to get the interface
working again (with WPA support - which I am using to send this email).

The problem now is that once I eject the card, and then re-insert it, I have
to load the primary firmware and the station firmware again.

I do not mind doing that manually in a pinch, but if there were a way to
restore this card to its pre-mess up stage, it would be better. You do not
need to tell me what I need to do, I will figure out the commands I need. No
hand-holding needed.

I imagine I need to use the -f option (the one that got me into this mess to
start with) with some version of the primary firmware, but I do not know
which.

Hopefully, I can someday use this card with the orinoco drivers without the
need to load the firmware everytime I need to get on the network.

> > The kernel is the latest Ubuntu hardy kernel :
> > 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
> >
> > hostap-utils - the latest Ubuntu Hardy version. I believe it is
> > 1:0.4.0-1 :
> >
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/net/hostap-utils
>
> Please use the latest version 0.4.7.

I will update when it gets into kubuntu. For now, it appears to be working
with the manual loading of firmware.

And just in case, you need these details,

sudo hostap_diag -u wlan0
Host AP driver diagnostics information for 'wlan0'

NICID: id=0x800c v1.0.0 (PRISM II (2.5) PCMCIA (SST parallel flash))
PRIID: id=0x0015 v1.1.1
STAID: id=0x001f v1.7.4 (station firmware)

Unknown RIDs (Resource IDentifiers)

With regards,

MS