回复: iwlist scan can't return AuthMode and EncrypTape

Dan Williams dcbw
Wed Jul 9 08:32:48 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 18:14 +0800, Lixin Song wrote:
> Hello:
>      According to my recent research, it seems for
> WEP, we can not get any more information. There is
> only one bit(priv?) in the beacon that says where the
> AP is WEP on or off.
>      I wish I were wrong! Our application engineer is
> complaining about this.

This is a deficiency in the 802.11 specification.  The only thing you
get is the "Privacy" bit.  There is no indication of 802.11
authentication mode (i.e. Open System or Shared Key), nor is there any
indication of the WEP key length (40 or 104 bit).  That's just the way
it is.  The user has to know.

Note that if the WEP key is wrong on the user's end, there is no way to
know the key is wrong using WEP Open System authentication except by
doing DHCP and timing out, or some other IP-level connectivity test
(which could take a long time).

WEP Shared Key authentication will tell you almost instantly if the WEP
key is wrong, but is actually _less_ secure than Open System due to
flaws in the Shared Key handshake protocol.  WEP Shared Key
authentication should not be used where security is important.

Unfortunately, your app engineer will just have to come up with
something that allows the user to enter the options :(

Dan