get_network requests yield poor informatoin for preseeding networkconfig form

Kel Modderman kel
Wed Jan 23 06:27:52 PST 2008

Hi Jouni,

When doing some work on wpa_gui, I noticed that when editing a network
configuration that uses no wep, pre-shared key or other means of
authentication, the network form preselects WEP Encryption in the combobox
(and other enabling of widgets).

When investigating why, I see that NetworkConfig::paramsFromConfig() calls a
few GET_NETWORK requests for group, pairwise, key_mgmt and so on, but these
seem to be returning information that is not really true for the network in
question in most cases.

For example:

# cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/conf.ath0
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid=""
        key_mgmt=NONE
        id_str=""
}

network={
        ssid="kelnet"
        key_mgmt=NONE
        wep_key0=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        id_str="kelnet"
}

> status
bssid=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ssid=kelnet
id=1
id_str=kelnet
pairwise_cipher=WEP-104
group_cipher=WEP-104
key_mgmt=NONE
wpa_state=COMPLETED
ip_address=192.168.0.5
> get_network 1 proto
WPA RSN
> get_network 1 key_mgmt
NONE
> get_network 1 pairwise
CCMP TKIP

The same data is returned for network id 0 for the above get_network requests.
This causes miscalculations in what forms to prepare/preselect/present to
user at edit network time.

I tried to edit a WPA-PSK2 config:

network={
        ssid="wpanetwork"
        psk="abcdefghijklmnop"
}

And it preselects WPA2-EAP, disables PSK input field, until correct settings
are chosen from Authentication combobox.

I'm using 0.6.2 plus all the patches I sent you, one that Dan sent recently
but no other difference.

Can you reproduce and do you know where the problem may be?

Thanks, Kel.