EAP-Success = failure?

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Jan 11 18:01:18 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 02:39:06PM -0500, Ryan M. Adamson wrote:

> I'm running wpa_supplicant on RHEL5 using EAP-PEAP/MSCHAPv2 with a
> RADIUS server.  From what I can tell by looking at the debug logs on my
> machine and the RADIUS server logs, authentication through the RADIUS
> server is successful.

Which RADIUS server are you using?

> The 4-way handshake is failing, however, with:
>
> WPA: Failed to get master session key from EAPOL state machines
> WPA: Key handshake aborted

This would indicate that the EAP authentication was not completed
successfully.

> A little bit earlier in the logs, I see this:
>
> EAPOL: Received EAP-Packet frame
> EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state REQUEST
> EAPOL: getSuppRsp
> EAP: EAP entering state RECEIVED
> EAP: Received EAP-Success
> EAP: EAP entering state FAILURE
> CTRL-EVENT-EAP-FAILURE EAP authentication failed

And indeed, the EAP part had failed. The EAP state machine moves into
FAILURE state if an EAP-Success is received when it was not received.
You did not include enough context (i.e., what happened before this
EAP-Success was received) to figure out what triggered this particular
issue.