[Bulk] Re: Wep not working with hostap for ap mode

Stefano Paris paris_ste_82
Thu Feb 28 02:03:11 PST 2008

Hello,

I had the same problem using hostapd 0.5.8 and different versions of the
Madwifi driver (among which 0.9.3.3 and 0.9.4). I have been able to
solve this problem setting again the wep key (with iwconfig command)
after having launched hostapd.

Try this procedure:
wlanconfig wlan0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap
iwconfig ath0 key [1] 2345678901
iwconfig ath0 key [2] s:"vwxyz"
iwconfig ath0 key [3] s:".2.4.6.8.0.23"
iwconfig ath0 key [4] 0102030405060708090a0b0c0d
ifconfig wlan0 up
hostapd -B /etc/hostapd.conf
iwconfig ath0 key [1] 2345678901
iwconfig ath0 key [2] s:"vwxyz"
iwconfig ath0 key [3] s:".2.4.6.8.0.23"
iwconfig ath0 key [4] 0102030405060708090a0b0c0d
iwconfig ath0 key [1]

I think the problem was caused by the interaction between hostapd and
madwifi.
The idea came to me after reading the following ticket on madwifi site:
http://madwifi.org/ticket/932.
With some old version of Madwifi driver it was necessary setting the wep
key before bringing up the wireless interface.

Have someone developed a patch to solve this problem?

Regards,
Stefano