the requirements of supporting WSC or PUSH-BUTTON?

Andriy Tkachuk andriy.tkachuk
Fri Aug 29 01:23:55 PDT 2008

On 2008-08-29 09:31, c4linux wrote:
> I'm confused about the requirements of supporting WSC or PUSH-BUTTON or WPS(they have the same meaning?), there are few documents about supporting Wi-Fi Simple Configuration.

Push Button is one of WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) configuration modes
(and is optional, actually). WSC (Wi-Fi Simple Config) is former name of
WPS protocol specified by Wi-Fi Aliance (check
http://www.wi-fi.org/wifi-protected-setup).

> 1. Is WSC a pure software that can work without any hardware supporting?

No, hardware & underlying software has to support transferring of WPS
IEs (Information Elements) in beacons/probe responses/requests.

Check http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/articles/eng/2662.htm

> 4. I found a patched hostapd that can support WPS . Where I can get these patch?

Yesterday I just announced it - at git://git.assembla.com/hostap-wps.git
. There is latest hostap-0.6 sources with WPS code made originally by
Jouni Malinen but then removed due some legal threats from his former
employer, Devicescape Software. From hostapd/ChangeLog:

>         * added support for Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
>           (hostapd can now be configured to act as an integrated WPS
> Registrar
>           and provision credentials for WPS Enrollees using PIN and PBC
>           methods; external WPS Registrars are not supported); WPS
> support can
>           be enabled by adding CONFIG_WPS=y into .config and setting the
>           runtime configuration variables in hostapd.conf (see WPS
> section in
>           the example configuration file); new hostapd_cli commands
> wps_pin and
>           wps_pbc are used to configuration WPS negotiation; see
> README-WPS for
>           more details

There is not ready code for Enrolle though. For this you can try Chuck
Tuffi's patch published recently at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=234447

Regards,
   Andriy